Multimedia And Information LIteracy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Text Information (Denotation And Connotation)

4 posters

Go down

Text Information (Denotation And Connotation) Empty Text Information (Denotation And Connotation)

Post by Admin Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:06 pm

People are affected by their constant consumption of text information so
we have to be careful with our interpretation on ads, news and other forms of media
and know if they're meant to be interpreted connotatively or denotatively . Very Happy

Like a Star @ heaven Denotation - basically means the literal interpretation of a phrase or a sentence.
Like a Star @ heaven Connotation - Mental, emotional, and social associations the mind makes with a word.

Admin
Admin

http://dcomputergeek.forumotion.asia

Back to top Go down

Text Information (Denotation And Connotation) Empty Re: Text Information (Denotation And Connotation)

Post by kenpanget01 Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:57 pm

How can we know if we have to interpret a statement connotatively or denotatively ? how does it become a factor for consumption of text info ?

kenpanget01
Guru

Back to top Go down

Text Information (Denotation And Connotation) Empty Re: Text Information (Denotation And Connotation)

Post by Admin Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:06 pm

kenpanget01 wrote:How can we know if we have to interpret a statement connotatively or denotatively ? how does it become a factor for consumption of text info ?

Text Information (Denotation And Connotation) 3cb09310

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:08 pm

kenpanget01 wrote:How can we know if we have to interpret a statement connotatively or denotatively ? how does it become a factor for consumption of text info ?

Take a look at that image as an example .
That ad doesn't mean we'll really starve if we don't eat at their restaurant .
It just means we should eat there so we'll both have a full stomach because of the customer's payment . Apparently, text information is not designed to be taken literally at all times.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kenpanget01 Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Still common sense is the key hahaha

kenpanget01
Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:38 pm

kenpanget01 wrote:Still common sense is the key hahaha

Okay ..let's take it deeply . When we see "hasgtags (#)" , originally , it is a number sign ..that's the literal meaning of that sign . But most people from our generation would interpret it as something to represent trending topics online . But what happens to those computer illiterate people who still see hashtags as a number sign ? That's the semiotic theory ..it is something about how an object is signified in our minds based on our culture and interpretation . That's how denotation and connotation affects our text consumption Laughing

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrckrmll Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:40 pm

My statement will be based on the information stated above about connotations and denotations
I'll take this for an example, a lyric from the "Heavy" by Linkin Park
"I don't like my mind right now
Stacking up problems that are so unnecessary"
A denotatively interpretation would be what the composer was trying to express or the literal interpretation of his feelings or thoughts
While it's connotatively interpretation would be it's impact to the listeners of the song

Correct me if I'm wrong maam

cdrckrmll
Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:12 pm

cdrckrmll wrote:My statement will be based on the information stated above about connotations and denotations
I'll take this for an example, a lyric from the "Heavy" by Linkin Park
"I don't like my mind right now
Stacking up problems that are so unnecessary"
A denotatively interpretation would be what the composer was trying to express or the literal interpretation of his feelings or thoughts
While it's connotatively interpretation would be it's impact to the listeners of the song

Correct me if I'm wrong maam

If you interpret it Dennotatively, then you'd think he's talking about how he doesn't like his own mind at the moment . Like when you see "black sheep of the family" and think of an actual sheep that is color black . If you interpret this lyrics connotatively , he's talking about how he doesn't like what's been going through on his mind right now , thinking of unnecessary things. Same as interpreting "black sheep of the family" as someone who brings disgrace to his/her family Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrckrmll Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:16 pm

I can the difference now. Connotation has deep meaning whilst denotation has a much simple meaning. Thank you for the explanation maam. May God bless you

cdrckrmll
Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:27 pm

cdrckrmll wrote:I can the difference now. Connotation has deep meaning whilst denotation has a much simple meaning. Thank you for the explanation maam. May God bless you

GOD BLESS you too Surprised

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vinfinityyy Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:40 pm

so interpreting it connotatively is just like using a metaphor ? correct me if I'm wrong.

vinfinityyy
Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down